Re: spacer rest *

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: spacer rest *
Date: Tue, 01 May 2018 00:15:24 +0200

David Wright <address@hidden> writes:

> AFAICT the important exception that was introduced with naked
> durations was that c 4 notates a single note whereas c4 4 notates two.

There was no "exception" introduced.  c 4 always indicated a single note
and c4 4 previously was invalid input.

> Thank goodness that my own canonical style is c4 d8 e16 etc and not
> c 4 d 8 e 16 which makes erroneous naked durations harder to spot in
> the source.

It's always a good idea to follow conventions.  Makes it easier to
cooperate with people, makes for better starting points from templates
and programmatically created LilyPond input (if only by using
\displayLilyMusic) and gives convert-ly a better chance at working
because conversion patterns tend to cater to conventions.

> As a singer, naked pitches like c4 d e are the norm (ie melody),
> whereas naked durations c4 2. 8 are of more limited usefulness.

So?

--
David Kastrup