Re: spacer rest *

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: spacer rest *
Date: Tue, 1 May 2018 11:35:04 -0500

On Tue 01 May 2018 at 09:45:47 (+0200), Gianmaria Lari wrote:
> On 1 May 2018 at 09:39, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Gianmaria Lari <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > --- Exceptions ---
> > > Making "s8 8 8" acting differently than "c8 8 8" introduce an
> > > exception.
> >
> > Not "introduces" but "constitutes" since there was never a state with
> > valid equal behavior.
> >
> > > Exceptions make things a bit "more difficult" and in my opinion should
> > > be introduced carefully thinking if they worth it. As I told, I don't
> > > have the competence to say if this is the case, but I found useful
> > > point it out.
> >
> > One region where isolated durations are really useful is for drum tracks
> > consisting of only one drum "pitch" for longer stretches.  Those tend to
> > be written with notes and rests interspersed.  In that case it may be
> > helpful not to have to repeat the drum name.
> >

> Sure.

Yes, that's the reason I thought it might have been introduced for,
hence "snare" in my example. I hadn't really thought of your use case
of using it for spacer "riffs" to place your annotations, but only
of rests where one might not expect riffs of silence.

> > It also might be worth noting that s8 8 8 cannot really be made equal in
> > behavior to \skip 8 8 8 (or other music function calls) so it is more
> > the question of where to draw the line rather than whether to draw a
> > line at all.
>

> I'm sorry I don't understand your last paragraph.

\skip is a different animal from s but that's sometimes disguised by
the fact that you can substitute one for the other in particular cases.
But because it's a command, it always expects a duration and that
duration does not participate at all in what you've called "propagation".

As this is LP, one can always confuse oneself by writing \skip 2
but where I've (rarely) had to use them, I write \skip2 .
Further confusion might occur where LP ignores the duration of the
\skip yet it still has to be written.

Cheers,
David.