Re: spacer rest *

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: spacer rest *
Date: Tue, 01 May 2018 19:43:26 +0200

David Wright <address@hidden> writes:

> … which of course it should, if only to say that such whitespace
>  is optional and not preferred. That would make it is clearer that
>     c4 d e f
>     8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8
> defines only 11 notes. The NR should be a reference for definitions
> like this, should it not.
>
> Similarly AFAICT, nowhere is it defined that you can write naked
> durations in lyrics, but that
>     \skip 4 Hm!4 hm!4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4
> won't work for Papageno because it only generates blanks.

Well, to be fair we showcase most lyrics via \addlyrics/\lyricsto where
4 4 4 4 would (if it would work at all) look a bit strange since the
actually used durations would not matter.

But I think it would be a reasonable feature to do the same for lyrics
syllables.  It will be rarely used but may be useful for vocalisations.

Again, it's mostly a matter of "nobody thought of that yet".

--
David Kastrup