Re: Intervals enharmony question

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Intervals enharmony question
Date: Fri, 4 May 2018 00:45:50 +0100

On 30/04/18 20:54, Malte Meyn wrote:

> Am 30.04.2018 um 15:50 schrieb Hans Åberg:
>> But orchestral instruments depart from Pythagorean tuning, not E12, so
>> they are not equivalent, differing by a comma of about 20 cents.
>
> Which orchestral instruments do you refer to? All instruments that I
> know good enough use equal temperament or a good approximation. I don’t
> know an orchestral instrument that has different ways to play E♭ and D♯ …

You're confusing equal temperament with monotonic.

Just because an instrument uses the same fingering for Eb and D# (on a
trumpet that would be first valve, I believe), doesn't mean that the
note is equal temperament, or an accurate Eb or D#. And it's a pretty
safe bet that if the player plays the two notes an octave apart they
almost certainly aren't an accurate octave ... an Eb, a D#, and the
equal temperament fudge are three distinct notes, and your trumpet is
probably playing a fourth. True, they're all ALMOST the same ... :-)

Cheers,
Wol