Re: LilyPond and FontForge

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: LilyPond and FontForge
Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 19:21:11 +0200 (CEST)

> I'm using FontForge version 08:20 on Windows 10. I just open the
> emmentaler-20.otf and try to export it again without any changes,
> and it shows several errors:
>
> - If I choose to review the errors, it shows:
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t5604/fontforge2.png>

All of those errors are harmless and can be ignored.  However, I
suggest to use the `ttx' (from https://github.com/fonttools/fonttools)
to disassemble (to XML) the original and re-exported font.  You can
then compare the XML files, looking for issues.

> - And also:
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t5604/fontforge3.png>
> "The following tables has been ignored by FontForge"

This is expected.  The three tables are specific to lilypond; they are
simple text files put into SFNT tables – if you add or modify fonts
you probably have to update this information also in case you are
directly editing the fonts with FontForge instead of using lilypond's
pipeline to create them (from METAFONT source code).  Have a look at
`scripts/build/gen-emmentaler-scripts.py' (which generates the
`emmentaler-*.genpe' scripts); there you can see how to add the three
tables using a FontForge script.

    Werner