Re: Vertical space above ossia

From: Walter Garcia-Fontes
Subject: Re: Vertical space above ossia
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 09:43:58 +0200

Thanks Carl and Ben for your suggestions. Let me provide a summary so
far, since the discussion was a little messy. So we start from the
example provided for a single ossia, with more code to have the score
extend over multiple lines:

\version "2.19.32"

\new Staff = "main" \relative {
\repeat unfold 4 {  c''4 b d c} \break
\repeat unfold 4 {  c4 b d c}
  <<
    { c4 b d c }

    \new Staff \with {

      \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
      alignAboveContext = #"main"
      \magnifyStaff #2/3
      firstClef = ##f
    }
    { e4 d f e }

\break
\repeat unfold 4 {  c4 b d c}
  c4 b c2
}

This produces the attached "mwe1.pdf". I would like to bring the ossia
closer to the below staff, and to have the staff lines equally spaced
in the score. Bringing the ossia closer to the below line can be
achieved by the "padding" property in the following tweak which has to
be added inside of the "with" in the "\new Staff" of the ossia:

\override VerticalAxisGroup #'default-staff-staff-spacing = #'(
(basic-distance . 0)
(minimum-distance . 0)
(padding . 1.5)
(stretchability . 90) )

This produces "mwe2.pdf" attached. The space above the ossia cannot be
reduced by tweaking the properties of the override. Neither can it be
reduced by using the following property:
\overrideProperty Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn.line-break-system-details
            #'((Y-offset . 0))

So one possibility is to add a general \paper block and spacing the
lines in the score more equally spaced, for instance:

\paper {
  system-system-spacing =
    #'((basic-distance . 0)
       (minimum-distance . 4)
       (padding . 4)
       (stretchability . 10))
}

This produces "mwe3.pdf", where the distance between lines 1 and 2 has
been slightly reduced. But the space above the ossia cannot be reduced
completely. If the lines have to be really equally spaced, the only way is to do
the ossia with music inside a markup:

\version "2.19.32"

\new Staff = "main"  \relative {
\repeat unfold 4 {  c''4 b d c} \break
\repeat unfold 4 {  c4 b d c} \break
    c4 b d c^\markup{
    \score {
    \new Staff \with {
      \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
      alignAboveContext = #"main"
      \magnifyStaff #2/3
      firstClef = ##f
      }
  \relative c''  { e4 d f e  \bar "|"}
  \layout { }
\repeat unfold 2 {  c4 b d c}
  c4 b c2
}

\paper {
  system-system-spacing =
    #'((basic-distance . 10)
       (minimum-distance . 1)
       (padding . 1)
       (stretchability . 6))
}

This one produces "mwe4.pdf".

So this would close this thread unless anybody has a better
suggestion.

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes
L'Hospitalet de Llobregat