Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 186, Issue 108

From: Arle Lommel
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 186, Issue 108
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 16:11:09 -0400

Thank you Ben.

See below:

Don’t know how I didn’t find this, but I thought I’d gone through all of the time signature-related snippets. Clearly not…

The snippet is almost right, but doesn’t function quite as Hindemith’s notation does:

  • The Hindemith editions use time signatures both above and in line, but never at the same time. They serve different purposes. The snipped removes the ability to do the in-line time signatures because the time signature engraver is removed from the main staffs. Easy enough to put in, but then I need to brush up enough to selectively control where a time signature appears
  • Hindemith also limits the effect of a superior time signature to a single measure. The following measure reverts (with nothing displayed) to the original meter. So replicating the Schott practice would mean also hiding the time signature following such a measure.

But this is very useful as a suggestion of an approach. Maybe I can find a way to selectively hide/show time signature changes in each context to get what I want.

Best,

Arle