Re: Several questions concerning scheme-music-function

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Several questions concerning scheme-music-function
Date: Sun, 27 May 2018 11:01:44 +0100

On 27/05/18 10:49, Robert Schmaus wrote:
> From that thread, I take away the comfort that I'm not the only one with
> Scheme-problems.
> Now, I can live with that - most of the times I don't have to customise
> anything anyway. It's just, that with Scheme, I know, I'll never get
> into it, too.
>

> Ok, thanks again for the references. I think for now, I simply stay
> within the "out of the box" Lilypond limits. I'd have to invest hours of
> learning Scheme - that's not an option for the near future, I'm afraid.

My brother used to hate emacs when he started CompSci - he thought it
was horrendous. Then he got used to it - and realised why it's so good.

And Emacs is written (and programmed) in Lisp.

I bang on about Word and WordPerfect in the same vein. Word was dumbed
down to appeal to the "man in the street" who couldn't type. I *hate* it
- it's a mess. WordPerfect was written for the man who knew how to type
- it's intuitive, it's simple, it works like a dream. But give it to the
boss, rather than the secretary, and they just can't get it to work.
Lisp/scheme/Emacs are the same - they're wonderful tools in the hands of
the PROFESSIONAL that knows how to use them.

Cheers,
Wol