Re: Partcombine not working for orchestral parts?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Partcombine not working for orchestral parts?
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 10:52:38 -0400

Hi Ben,

> it does seem rather difficult to be able to predict when you'll need the
> "once partcombineapart" in the music until you go to actually *combine* the
> parts in a staff, and see the missing rest(s), correct?

That’s what I’ve found. (Disclaimer: The part combiner has been improved — is
constantly improving? — of late, and I’ve not needed to use it in a production
score for two or three years, so I can’t say what the current state is exactly
without doing some tests, which I have no time to do right now!)

> What I mean is, when you're inputting notes into flute 1, you input the notes
> and rests normally

As you should.

> So what's the best way to do this in your opinion? Should every instance of
> brief rests like this in one part but not the other be prefaced with
> "once...apart"

If I recall correctly, I settled on the fact that part combinations (and the
related visuals/texts) are PRESENTATION layer, and not CONTENT layer… so I used
the edition-engraver to "inject" commands and markups as desired.

(I’ve set aside some time in late August to deal with some long-standing
Lilypond-related initiatives; I’ll tack the part-combiner on to that list and
get back to you when I’ve put together a "best practices" demo. I know that
doesn’t help you now… sorry!)

Best,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer