Re: Question about baseline-skip.

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: Question about baseline-skip.
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 15:41:15 -0700 (MST)

Hi Hwaen,

I get your point (although a minimal example for demonstration purposes
would have helped).

In a 20 pt score, the default font size will be 11 pt and the default
baseline-skip will be 3 staff spaces (set in paper-defaults-init.ly).
Within a \wordwrap block (or anything comparable), this baseline-skip will
apply.

Between two \markup blocks, however, there will be no baseline-skip at all:
these boxes will just be stacked on top of each other with no padding at
all. This becomes apparent when enclosing the markup blocks in boxes:

%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.19.82"

\paper { line-width = #70 }

\markup \override #'(box-padding . 0) \column {
  \box \wordwrap {
    To be, or not to be, that is the question:
    Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer
  }
  \box \wordwrap {
    The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
    Or to take Arms against a Sea of troubles,
    And by opposing end them: to die, to sleep
  }
  \box \wordwrap {
    No more; and by a sleep, to say we end
    the heart-ache, and the thousand natural shocks
    that Flesh is heir to?
%%%%%%%%%

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/stacking-markup.png>

The boxes stick together without any space between them.
The distance between the last line of the second box and the first line of
the third box is a bit wider, but only because of the descender ("p") in the
last line of the second box.

To avoid this unwanted effect (for text paragraphs, it might be desirable
for graphic elements), you might use \markuplist instead of \markup:

%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.19.82"

\paper { line-width = #70 }

\markuplist {
  \wordwrap-lines {
    To be, or not to be, that is the question:
    Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer
  }
  \wordwrap-lines {
    The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
    Or to take Arms against a Sea of troubles,
    And by opposing end them: to die, to sleep
  }
  \wordwrap-lines {
    No more; and by a sleep, to say we end
    the heart-ache, and the thousand natural shocks
    that Flesh is heir to?
%%%%%%%%%

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/stacking-markup-2.png>

HTH,