Re: http://lilypond.org/help-us.html afunctional

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: http://lilypond.org/help-us.html afunctional
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 22:24:56 -0700

On Thu, Jul 05, 2018 at 08:49:12PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
> > I suspect that the issue is that we only want a string in the form
> > "2.19", and it was easier to create such a string by concatenating
> > MAJOR_VERSION and MINOR_VERSION, instead of taking VERSION_STABLE
> > of "2.19.65" and removing the final ".xy"
>
> Hm.  I've done a change using VERSION_DEVEL locally but I am not sure
> whether there is one valid strategy for both development and stable
> releases.
>
> I am not sure I understand the problem.

Sorry, I'm not certain if this is still an issue.  Here's the
problem as I recall it.

1) The regular MAJOR_VERSION / MINOR_VERSION / PATCH_LEVEL points
to the *next* lilypond release in git master.  This is so that if
a developer compiles the binary, there's a distinction between
  ./lilypond --version
and
  lilypond --version

(assuming that she has an officially released lilypond in her
$PATH).

2) Pages like
  http://lilypond.org/unix.html
  http://lilypond.org/development.html
are generated from
  Documentation/web/download.itexi
  Documentation/web/community.itexi
from git master.  These need to point to the latest *released*
versions, not the "n+1" version that one gets from compiling.

To see exactly how VERSION_STABLE and VERSION_DEVEL are used,
    $ git grep versionStable -- Documentation/web
    $ git grep versionDevel -- Documentation/web

Cheers,
- Graham