Re: Lilypond fails after system upgrade.

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Lilypond fails after system upgrade.
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 09:34:32 -0500

On Tue 17 Jul 2018 at 08:51:23 (+0200), Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> >> On many documents (not all) i get now this error:
> >> warning:
> >> `(gs -q -dSAFER -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=612.00 -dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=792.00
> >> -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -r1200 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite
> >> -sOutputFile=./Etude-nr.8.pdf -c.setpdfwrite -fEtude-nr.8.ps)' failed
> >> (256)
> >
> > Thank you all for the answers, the reason i got this error was that
> > some fonts where missing.
>
> It's actually very unfortunate that we get a 256 error for so many
> different problems.  How shall Joe User know the real problem quickly?

I thought Knut had just given the first step:

   $ lilypond --version
   $ gs --version
   $ lilypond --ps --pdf Etude-nr.8.ly
   $ gs -q -dSAFER -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=612.00 \
   -dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=792.00 -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 \
   -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -r1200 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=./Etude-nr.8.pdf \
   -c.setpdfwrite -fEtude-nr.8.ps

But I would omit the -q, and also -dPAUSE if output scrolls too
quickly. Assuming the PS is good, success here will indicate that
the problem is likely a mismatch between the system gs used here)
and the one that your normal lilypond run was trying to use.

If the PS is bad (missing fonts, say, or permission error), then
this gs command should throw an error, which you should now see
printed on standrd error rather than its being gobbled up.

Cheers,
David.