Re: Terminology question

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: Terminology question
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 03:47:14 -0700 (MST)

Menu Jacques wrote
> Is the example realistic, with ligatures both above and below the staff?

Yes, in polyphonic notation (stems in opposite direction), ligature brackets
have to go both above and below the stave, just like slurs, ties, dynamics,

Menu Jacques wrote
> I didn’t find any way to obtain ligatures below the staff in the docs.

If you use << … \\ … >> or separate Voices with \voiceOne and \voiceTwo, the
ligature brackets will go below the stave for the second voice.

Menu Jacques wrote
> Maybe there was always one voice only per staff at the time?

Yes, certainly, but it is not uncommon to have voices share a single stave
in transcriptions using modern notation.

All the best,
Torsten