Re: Hairpin.to-barline doesn't always work

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Hairpin.to-barline doesn't always work
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 09:12:55 +0200

Am 21.07.2018 um 08:55 schrieb Thomas Morley:

The to-barline property
I have a couple of questions about this section.  The first is, why would
the default setting for to-barface be true?
Afaik, we do so to follow the usual type-setting-rules.
I could be wrong here, though. I don't own Gould

Gould (p. 105) says: "It is neatest ifa  hairpin that terminates at the beginning of a bar stops short of the barline, since the space between the barline and the subsequent first beat has no time value (bars 1-3). However, it is helpful to extend a hairpint to a first beat that is some distance after a barline, to show continuity (bars 4-6).

The example given matches LilyPon's output of the following file:

\paper {
  ragged-last = ##f
}

\relative {
  \time 2/4
  a' \< e'
  e, \f \> c
  g'2 \p
  \override Hairpin.to-barline = ##f
   f4 \< bes
  \time 3/4
 <gis b>2
  \f \> c,4
  \time 2/4
  es2 \p
}

which seems correct to me. The first three bars' default behaviour matches the description, and the - optional - result of the remaining three bars is achieved by overriding the default.

HTH
Urs