Re: \textLengthOn in polyphony and over MultiMeasureRests

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: \textLengthOn in polyphony and over MultiMeasureRests
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 13:48:54 -0700 (MST)

Urs Liska-3 wrote
> (markup in voice one will push the music in voice two)

Yes, but that's only natural:

(0) \textLengthOn affects any neighbouring objects and will even push away
the surrounding notes etc.

(1) TextScript.self-alignment-X ist set to #CENTER and in combination with
\textLengthOn, the outer limits of the measure will be pushed apart.

(2) If there's only one single note, this note will be forced into the
horizontal centre of the measure (which is what we wanted in the example,
but that's not "natural", as the first note in a measure should start at the
beginning of the measure.

(3) The additional second voice prevents the single note of voice one from
being centred, because now the two voices have to be rhythmically aligned:
that's why the 2nd note of voice 2 sticks out to the right.

So as to your question a), it's not a problem of calculating \textLength,
it's just a problem of rhythmic alignment of notes.
You don't even need a 2nd voice for that effect,
  c''4 ^\markup "Other voice interferes." c''2.
would just behave in the same way.

If you need more than one (centred) note, you can use spacer rests (s) an/or
scaled durations (if needed) and (!) attach the markup text to <>, that way
it won't affect the neighbouring notes other than by widening the measure.
Don't ask me why, but it comes in handy.

Urs Liska-3 wrote
> and it doesn't
> work over MultiMeasureRests:

In these cases, you can attach it to <>. This even works with compressed
MultiMeasureRests and it's an ordinary TextScript then.

The longa rest in the example below has been created by R1*4 in combination
with \compressFullBarRests and \omit MultiMeasureRestNumber. The markup text
has been attached to <>.
I haven't included the source code because it's a mess and I used a Fraktur
font just for fun.

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/textlength-pausen.png>

I think this pretty much mimicks the original sample.

All the best,
Torsten