Re[2]: \textLengthOn in polyphony and over MultiMeasureRests

From: Trevor
Subject: Re[2]: \textLengthOn in polyphony and over MultiMeasureRests
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 11:49:42 +0000

Urs, you wrote 30/07/2018 11:07:44

Hm, I thought I finally had the solution, based on ideas from an earlier post by you and the one by Trevor:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\new Staff \relative {
  <<
    {
      \override Staff.NoteColumn.X-offset = 10
      c''2 c
    }
    \new Voice {
      <>^\markup " A pretty long text that should extend the measure  "
    }

% uncomment to make things break ...
%{
  <<
    {
      c8 c c c c2
    }
    \new Voice {
      <>^\markup " A pretty long text that should extend the measure  "
    }

%}
}
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

This works perfectly for one measure (and is totally agnostic of what happens in the "music" voice), but as soon as you add (uncomment) the second measure, things overlap again. Inserting \textLengthOn again makes the markup push notes around. So I'm still not moving forward here ...

I've not been following this thread closely, so this comment may be totally irrelevant, but does this help at all?

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/opera-and-stage-musicals#dialogue-over-music

It would suggest:

{
  <<
    \new Lyrics \lyricmode {
      "A"4 " pretty long text that should extend the "4*2 "measure"4
      "A"4 " pretty long text that should extend the "4*2 "measure"4
    }
    \new Staff \relative {
      c''2 c
      c8 c c c c2

\paper {
  ragged-right = ##t
}

You could break up the text in other ways, of course.

The other Trevor