Re: Sample string for Emmentaler

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: Sample string for Emmentaler
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 02:37:53 -0700 (MST)

Urs Liska-3 wrote
> I'd be happy about getting some examples of strings showing off the
> characteristics of a font, with e.g. clefs, flags etc. Not a LilyPond
> \markup but something that can be copied and pasted into a word
> processor and the Emmentaler font applied to.

Hi Urs,

I think that's not possible, because a "string" would have to contain
specific characters, i.e. character numbers, and the Emmentaler notation
glyphs don't have nailed-down character numbers.
>From LilyPond version to LilyPond version, as more glyphs are added, all the
others will be shifted around.

That's why music glyphs have to be accessed via their glyph name and never
can be reliably found at a certain place within the font.

The only exception are the "alphabet" characters, i.e. the dynamic
characters, numbers and some of the punctuation such as m, f, p, 1, 2, 3, :
etc.

All the other glyphs (clefs, noteheads, flags, etc.) cannot be accessed by
simply passing over a string because these characters are nomads without
definite character codes.

The only solution is to dynamically build such a string, and this string
will be different for each notation font.

Torsten