Re: Sample string for Emmentaler

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Sample string for Emmentaler
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 13:37:14 +0200

Am 27.07.2018 um 12:47 schrieb Torsten Hämmerle:
David Kastrup wrote
Huh.  But at least there some Unicode code points of interest, like
[…]
Should we try using them where they coincide with useful Emmentaler
characters?
That wouldn't be a bad idea at all to adapt to (any) established standard.
The main reason for the original Private Use Area probably was that in
pre-unicode times, many music symbols didn't exist in standard fonts and
thus didn't have standard places in "official" encodings.
But again, these Unicode characters may contain a "clefs.G" sign, but not a
"clefs.Gchange".

On the other hand, the Unicode treble clef is at U+1D11E, whereas in my
SMuFL Bravura version, it is at U+E050.

So we'd still have a contradiction between SMuFL and Unicode. These
concurrent definitions are outside LilyPond's reach, and whatever we do,
IMHO we should rather adapt to SMuFL than to Unicode, if at all.

I think there should not be the need for any debate about that. *If* we change anything it should be towards SMuFL compliance. SMuFL is also (going to be?) the standard to be used when encoding special glyphs in MEI or MusicXML, and ruling out future compatibility with such formats would be a bad idea too.

And still, we'd have many older LilyPond versions around, most notably a
stable version, for quite a long time. Urs' Frescobaldi enhacement ideally
should ideally work for any LilyPond version.

Indeed, at least the "current stable version" is what Frescobabldi officially supports.

I think for the time being my best bet is to actually engrave a short example (there is the New Score Wizard that also does this) and cache the results so most of the time LilyPond doesn't have to be called.

Best
Urs

Best,
Torsten