Barcheck failure warnings for lyrics in parallel mode

From: Galen Menzel
Subject: Barcheck failure warnings for lyrics in parallel mode
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2018 12:30:03 -0700

Hi all,

I’m using 2.18.2.

The following code compiles with no issue and correctly places the lyrics below the notes:

melody_a = { r2 a8 b8 r4 | r2 a8 b8 r4 }
lyrics_a = \lyricmode { one two three four }

\score {
  <<
    \new Voice = "melody" \relative c'' \melody_a
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto melody \lyrics_a

  \layout { }
}

However, I prefer to write lines in parallel, as follows:

\parallelMusic #'(melody_b lyrics_b) {

% Bar 1
               r2 a8   b8    r4 |
  \lyricmode {    one  two }    |

% Bar 2
               r2 a8    b8    r4 |
  \lyricmode {    three four }   |
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Voice = "melody" \relative c'' \melody_b
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto melody \lyrics_b

}

This typesets correctly, but lilypond complains that the bars in the parallel music don't have the same length, and issues a barcheck-failure warning. My understanding is that this parallel line is basically equivalent to defining lyrics_b as

lyrics_b = { \lyricmode { one two } | \lyricmode { three four } }

and indeed, if we create a non-parallel version with the lyrics defined like this, lilypond also complains:

melody_c = { r2 a8 b8 r4 | r2 a8 b8 r4 }
lyrics_c = { \lyricmode { one two } | \lyricmode { three four } }

\score {
  <<
    \new Voice = "melody" \relative c'' \melody_c
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto melody \lyrics_c

  \layout { }
}

Now, although lyrics_c is a silly way to write a lyric line, lyrics_b seems reasonable to me. Is there a better way to define a lyric line in a parallelMusic definition so that lilypond doesn’t complain? And if not, is there a way to suppress these barcheck failure warnings?

I’ve attached a small example that contains these three ways of defining a lyric line.

I’d appreciate any advice here!

Best,

Galen