Re: Barcheck failure warnings for lyrics in parallel mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Barcheck failure warnings for lyrics in parallel mode
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2018 09:53:06 +0200

"Galen Menzel" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 8 Aug 2018, at 14:10, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> "Galen Menzel" <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> So basically explicit bar markings and lyrics just don’t play
>>> nicely
>>> together?
>>
>> And auto-length lyrics.  If you give the lyric syllables explicit
>> durations and not use \lyricsto/\addlyrics but just set
>> associatedVoice
>> and \lyricmode appropriately, you can write bar checks into the lyrics
>> perfectly well.  Note that bar checks indicate that your lyrics _are_
>> written to match a given rhythm at seminal points, so there is some
>> motivation to either put none of the rhythm into the lyrics (and let
>> them get autotimed using \addlyrics/lyricsto) or put all of it in and
>> use explicit durations.
>
> Ok, that makes sense. Looks like this is just a rough edge, where the
> requirements of auto-length lyrics are in conflict with the
> requirements of parallel notation. I’ll look into explicit duration or
> suppressing the warning.

You could just remove the bar checks from the lyrics selectively, like

lyrics_b = #(map-some-music (music-type-predicate 'bar-check) lyrics_b)

However, that would not get you rid of the warnings because of music
with unequal length.  The warnings are intended for locating problems:
removing them has its own problems.  Have you considered specifying your
lyrics with durations, like \lyricmode { one 2. two 4 } (spaces before
durations are optional)?

--
David Kastrup