Auto-ottava Scheme script problems

From: David Bellows
Subject: Auto-ottava Scheme script problems
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 10:23:41 -0700

Hello all,

Several years ago David Nalesnik very kindly and generously created a
Scheme script that would automatically apply ottava markings to a
score when needed (according to my own instrument definitions). I
needed this function because my Lilypond scores are all generated
automatically by my software and there is no human intervention
allowed in that process.

So I've been using that function daily for years and it works
wonderfully. Just recently, however, I started working on adding
chords to my music generating program (before you could have many
different voices but just not chords) and that's when I noticed a
problem.

The following works as intended:

<c e g> or
<c e g>4

but these produce errors:
<c e g>\f or
<c e g>4\f

The error message:

GNU LilyPond 2.19.82
Processing `auto-ottava.ly'
Parsing...auto-ottava.ly:24:15: In procedure ly:pitch-steps in
expression (ly:pitch-steps p):
auto-ottava.ly:24:15: Wrong type argument in position 1 (expecting Pitch): ()

The problem seems to be when there are dynamics involved with chords.
Note, this does *not* happen with single notes and dynamics, only with
chords and dynamics.

I emailed David several days ago but haven't heard from him. I'm not
sure if it was a good email address or if he's just not available
these days. In any case, I'm hoping someone on the list can spot the
problem and offer up a solution. I've attached a copy of the Scheme
script.

Thanks,
Dave Bellows