Re: piano ties

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: piano ties
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 07:22:23 -0700

On 2018-08-19 02:18, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
please have a look at the attached left hand piano staff image.  I
need the following, very ugly code to write it with lilypond.

  \relative c' {
    \clef "bass"
    \time 3/4
    << { <g b>2. ~ |
         \oneVoice\shiftOff \hideNotes <g b>2 r4 \unHideNotes } \\
       { d!2. ~ |
         \oneVoice\shiftOff <d e g b>2. } \\
       { f4 e2 ~ |
         \oneVoice\shiftOff \hideNotes <d e g b>2 s4 \unHideNotes } >>
  }

Is there any simpler way to do it `right'?

While not precisely what your image shows, this is the best I could do:

%%%%
\relative d {
  \clef "bass"
  \time 3/4
  \set tieWaitForNote = ##t
  <<
    { <d g b>2.~ }
    { \shiftOn f4 e2~ }

  <d e g b>2.
}
%%%%

The main difference is that the quarter note does not get its own column. To my eye, I would prefer to have the notes in the same column, as it is a little odd to see the quarter note appearing between the dotted half notes' heads and their dot. But I suppose that positioning does make the quarter note stand out.

-- Aaron Hill