Re: piano ties

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: piano ties
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 14:03:41 -0700

On 2018-08-19 10:04, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
The main difference is that the quarter note does not get its own
column.

Thanks for your try.  Alas, the notation you are suggesting is not
standard in piano notation – the first quarter needs a separate stem.

As one infrequently bound to theory and/or tradition, I would say "standards, schmandards". ;-)

I should clarify that, despite having been a musician and playing scores for several decades, I am continually amazed at how much goes into "good" music engraving and how much more I need to learn. So feel free to dismiss my incompetent ramblings as you wish.

Back to the music at hand, I would propose challenging the notion that "the first quarter needs a separate stem". How absolute is this rule in the grand scheme? My non-standard variant communicates the same musical intention, although I will definitely concede that someone could easily overlook the filled in quarter note head amongst the dotted halves when they are part of the same column. On the other hand, the presence of the subsequent half note and various ties should give the reader enough of a cue that the chord is mutating. That is why, given the context of this particular musical section, the quarter in its own column seems to add more visual noise to my eye than it serves its supposed standard purpose.

-- Aaron Hill