adding footnote to markup on invisible measures

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: adding footnote to markup on invisible measures
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 20:37:31 +0200

Hi List,

for "reasons" I have a passage that should have blank staves with no barlines, rests, clefs, etc. However, at the start of the section is an expressive mark, which should itself have a footnote. What I have thus far is as follows:

\version "2.19.80"

\relative c {
  \time 2/4
  \hideNotes \omit Staff.TimeSignature | es'''2^\markup { "un poco" \auto-footnote "misterioso" "Das Cello erzählt eine Geschichte ganz unabhängig von den anderen Stimmen" } | \omit Staff.BarLine \repeat unfold 19 { es2 } \undo \omit Staff.BarLine \unHideNotes \undo \omit Staff.TimeSignature

}

This gets the invisible-measure bit, and the expressive mark, but the footnote is not appearing. Is there some instruction I need to give for the footnote marks and text to appear? Or is my syntax wrong?

Thanks for the help!