Re: Proprietary Software term

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Proprietary Software term
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 12:21:08 -0700

On 2018-08-21 11:02, Wol's lists wrote:
A patent is
protected by copyright because it is not a thing. It's the thing it
describes that is protected by patent.

Obligatory "I am not a lawyer", but I took a class on intellectual property at university.

Patents and copyrights are different beasts, so one should be careful not to conflate them.

Patents are entirely concerned with inventions, that is novel, useful, and non-obvious solutions to specific problems that result either in an actual product or a practical process.

Copyrights, on the other hand, offer protection for the tangible expression of an idea in an original medium as well as non-transformative derivations into other media.

What is important here is patents can and do protect both things (products) and non-things (processes). However, copyrights only protect things (tangible expressions), not non-things (ideas).

-- Aaron Hill