Re: Proprietary Software term

From: Ben
Subject: Re: Proprietary Software term
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 17:03:17 -0400

On 8/23/2018 4:57 PM, Urs Liska wrote:

Urs mentions encryption being used by CodaMusic (I've never heard
of them) and that clearly shows an intention of lock-in. OTOH Wols
doesn't lay out here the evidence of the reported intent of Word's
changes. (Actually, I thought it was an open format nowadays.)

Coda Music was the original company re: Finale, way back in the day
before it was sold and became MakeMusic eventually.
I was indeed referring to Finale. At some point (around Finale 2014 or so) the company was purchased by an investment company, and one of the first decisions was to create an encrypted file format. AFAIK this decision has been reversed by now.

I think you're right but honestly, things haven't been the same with Finale since the company was bought out...again. And those changes made....again. Yikes.

https://www.webcitation.org/6OerqSdg5  <-- Interesting read...

Plain text sure does look attractive.  :)