Re: Does the layer property not work across systems?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Does the layer property not work across systems?
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 17:22:06 +0200

caagr98 caagr98 <address@hidden> writes:

> I have a couple of scores with limited space. For readability, I
> sometimes draw white outlines around overlapping elements (to cut out
> parts of volta brackets or similar). This works fine within the same
> system, but in some cases, the overlapping elements (an articulation
> and a volta bracket) are in different systems. No matter what I do,
> the volta in the second bracket draws above the articulation in the
> first. Is there a) some way to draw things over subsequent systems,
> and/or b) some better way to solve such overlaps without significantly
> affecting the overall layout?
>
> Here's a small example of what I'm trying to do (the real version uses
> edition engraver):

I've used \etc for rewording the definition:

\version "2.19.82"

whiteout =
-    \tweak layer #0
     \tweak Y-offset #0
     \tweak outside-staff-priority ##f
     -\markup
       \with-color #red % Of course, this should be white, but this is more
visible.
       \override #'(filled . #t)
       \path #0 \etc

\paper {
  #(set-paper-size "a8")
  system-system-spacing.padding = #-1000 % Makes vertical spacing more even,
but encourages overlap
}

{
  \repeat volta 2 {
    e1-^ -\whiteout #'(
      (moveto 0.3 -6.2)
      (rcurveto .8 -1.75 .6 -1.75 1.4 0)
      (closepath))
    \break
  }
  \alternative { {
    \once \override Score.VoltaBracket.layer = #-100
    \once \override Score.VoltaBracket.color = #blue
    R1
  } }
}
Well no: systems are drawn sequentially; layering only works within a
single system.

--
David Kastrup