Re: Does the layer property not work across systems?

From: caagr98 caagr98
Subject: Re: Does the layer property not work across systems?
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 17:50:09 +0200

That does indeed look a lot prettier, but it gives me an error saying unexpected \etc. Can \etc deal with markup like that?

So there's no way to get elements from the first system to draw over the second. Then I guess another option is to modify the volta's stencil to exclude those parts. Is there any way (either through Lilypond or postscript or similar) to subtract and/or intersect two stencils/paths?

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018, 17:22 David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
caagr98 caagr98 <address@hidden> writes:

> I have a couple of scores with limited space. For readability, I
> sometimes draw white outlines around overlapping elements (to cut out
> parts of volta brackets or similar). This works fine within the same
> system, but in some cases, the overlapping elements (an articulation
> and a volta bracket) are in different systems. No matter what I do,
> the volta in the second bracket draws above the articulation in the
> first. Is there a) some way to draw things over subsequent systems,
> and/or b) some better way to solve such overlaps without significantly
> affecting the overall layout?
>
> Here's a small example of what I'm trying to do (the real version uses
> edition engraver):

I've used \etc for rewording the definition:

Well no: systems are drawn sequentially; layering only works within a
single system.

--
David Kastrup