Re: stemNeutral problem

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: stemNeutral problem
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 23:44:06 -0700

On 2018-09-12 10:30 pm, Federico Bruni wrote:
You are right, it seems weird.
If you check your property-init.ly file you'll find these definitions:

stemUp = \override Stem.direction = #UP
stemDown = \override Stem.direction = #DOWN
stemNeutral = \revert Stem.direction

But I don't know what's happening here.

Something fishy with grace notes, I think.  Consider the following:

%%%%
\version "2.19.82"
<< { b'4 \stemUp b'4 \grace { \stemDown b'8 }
     \stemNeutral b'4 \stemNeutral b'4 } >>
%%%%

The occurrence of b'4 after the grace should be stem-down as that is its neutral direction.

What is odd is that this behavior is unique to Stem.direction as far as my testing has shown. If you redefine \stemUp, \stemDown, and \stemNeutral to, say, change the Stem.color, then the fault does not occur. Grace (or acciaccatura) notes must be special-cased in how they work with Stem.direction. (I believe that grace notes are neutrally stem-up regardless of position on the staff.) And something is not playing nice with normal \override/\revert logic.

-- Aaron Hill