RE: Frescobaldi Log Error -1073741819 on Windows10

From: Peter Gentry
Subject: RE: Frescobaldi Log Error -1073741819 on Windows10
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 16:44:53 +0100

----Original Message-----
From: Karlin High <address@hidden>
Sent: 27 September 2018 15:00
To: Peter Gentry <address@hidden>; address@hidden

On 9/27/2018 7:58 AM, Peter Gentry wrote:
> I believe that there was a Windows update that downloaded on the
> Desktop (in daily use) first and only subsequently on the Laptop.

 > Is it too obvious to conclude that there was something in the last  >
update around permissions that is causing the issue.

No, I'd say that's not at all too obvious.

In my experience, Windows systems are less stable when an update is awaiting
a restart to finish its install. I'd suggest doing a manual check for
updates and then a restart. Make sure it completely got over them. Apologies
if you've already done all that.

And, which version of Windows 10 is this? (Win-key + R, winver, Enter)

If it's not 1803, and your situation doesn't have a reason to avoid the
upgrade, I'd say get the upgrade. If something's gone sideways with Windows
internals, there's a chance the upgrade might set things right.
(In fairness, there's ALSO a remote chance it could break other things...
Microsoft and their too-often Win10 upgrades... mumble mumble, rant
suppressed.)

I'd also wonder about hardware diagnostics. But since it sounds like this
problem suddenly came up on 2 different machines at once, a hardware problem
seems a lot less likely.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA

Yup 1803 fully up to date ; hardware diagnostics all pass. Still baffled.