Re: Why no numbers allowed in variables?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Why no numbers allowed in variables?
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2018 23:34:05 +0200

> Hi David,
>
>> So what is wrong with using \"var2"
>
> That’s what I generally use — it requires extra typing, looks less
> attractive, looks (and is often colourized)

Well, that would warrant improving your LilyPond code colorifier.

> different from variables without numbers, etc.

Oh, you can just use quotes for all of them, then.  There is, of course,
also \var₂ .

>> or \var.2 ?
>
> I was under the impression that mechanism has limitations?

Yes.  For music it should usually work (or be easy to provide a
syntactic context where it will).  Not for every other type of variable.

> In any case, the drawbacks listed above hold here as well.
>
> I guess I’ll just stick with my standard workarounds.  =)

I'll assume that as a composer you'll usually have to accept the
constraints of your musicians' instruments as well.  And showing off a
proof-of-concept recorder where you have drilled an additional hole
yourself is unlikely to convince your soloist to have a go at his own
instrument.

--
David Kastrup