Re: Why no numbers allowed in variables?

From: J Martin Rushton
Subject: Re: Why no numbers allowed in variables?
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 22:56:51 +0100

This discussion is strangely familiar.  As one who learnt on FORTRAN IV
many years ago, I'm used to seeing that:

READ INPUT TAPE 5, 501, IA, IB, IC
and
READINPUTTAPE5,501,IA,IB,IC
or even
RE ADIN PUTTA PE5,5 01,I A,I B,I C

are the same.  I'm sure there were those back in the late '50s arguing
over the use of spaces and numbers within variables.

(OT) I've even seen code which intentionally mangled FORTRAN source to
make it unreadable, like the third example above.