Re: Defining 4 \breve time in Carmina Burana

From: Jogchum Reitsma
Subject: Re: Defining 4 \breve time in Carmina Burana
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 22:58:19 +0200

Hi Harm

(Hmm,  or Thomas?)

Op 08-10-18 om 23:52 schreef Thomas Morley:
Am Mo., 8. Okt. 2018 um 12:28 Uhr schrieb Jogchum Reitsma <address@hidden>:
<...>
Well, if you change 'Staff' to 'Score' in the line
     \temporary \override Staff.TimeSignature.stencil =
then the new stencil is always printed without the need to repeat it
in every Staff.

Though, I have my doubts that's really what you want.
I would recommend not to change the code but to \omit the
TimeSignature in every Staff, where you don't want it:
<<
   \new Staff
     {
       r2 r
       \time ##f 3/4
       r4 r r
     }
   \new Staff \with { \omit TimeSignature }
     {
       r2 r
       r4 r r
     }
This second suggestion does the trick: no need to repeat the code for each staff, and it it printed only above the upper (soprano, in this case) staff. Thanks a lot!
If you omit the Y-offset-override from the original example the
TimeSignature is printed in Staff as usual.
Though, Orff prints it above, afaik.
With my original coding there is a lot of space below the TimeSignature.
It could be removed or at least reduced if the dimensions of the
TimeSignature-stencil would be adjusted.
But I simply don't know how changes of TimeSignatures are dealed with
in this edition of the Carmina Burana.
Can you link to some online-images of line-breaking TimeSignatures?

I had figured that out already, thanks. Orff, and also Daan Manneke in his "Psaume 121" print the time signatures above the staff,  Manneke printing only the numerator, not the quarter note as denominator.

Cheers,
   Harm

regards, Jogchum