Lead sheets: lyrics and chords, no melody?

From: Christopher R. Maden
Subject: Lead sheets: lyrics and chords, no melody?
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2019 23:51:26 -0500

I have a guitarist who is afraid of written music. (That is a conversation for another day — suffice to say, I’m working on it.)

I’d like to produce what he’s used to: lyrics with chords above them. (See _Rise Up Singing_ or a thousand other songbooks for examples.) I have many songs set in LilyPond already, with chords and lyrics aligned to the melody. If I can suppress the melody staff, but keep the chords and lyrics aligned to them, that would be ideal. Something like <URL: http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/snippets/chords#chords-simple-lead-sheet > but without the melody staff.

It’s probably a visibility property setting (obviously, the melody needs to be there to align the lyrics to; I’d prefer not to have to go in an insert explicit durations for every single syllable, when the current alignment is just fine...)

I’m groveling through the internals reference now, but maybe someone has a snippet to share?

Thanks in advance,
crism
--
Chris Maden, text nerd