Re: Lead sheets: lyrics and chords, no melody?

From: Christopher R. Maden
Subject: Re: Lead sheets: lyrics and chords, no melody?
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2019 13:44:43 -0500

On 3/3/19 12:40 AM, Aaron Hill wrote:
It is a messy hack, but here is something:

[...]

My goal was to leave the lead sheet snippet from the docs intact and
do everything with \layout.  There are probably other grobs that will
need \omitting depending on your music.  Spacing will almost
certainly require tweaking to work.  I also opted to left-align the
lyrics to match the chords, as the alignment looks better without the
notes.

Thanks! That’s a good start... I had tried the approach of \remove-ing a bunch of engravers from Staff and Voice, but this looks cleaner.

It does leave a bunch of note flags, dots, and phrasing slurs decorating the lyrics...

I was able to clean most of that up by adding:

  \omit Dots
  \omit Flag
  \omit InstrumentName
  \omit PhrasingSlur.

to the \Staff context.

I also added \omit BarNumber to the \Score context. Oddly, the 8 from the "treble_8" clef I was using lingered even with \omit Clef in the \Staff context; I had to \remove Clef_engraver from the Staff to kill that.

I am struggling with the spacing now. Based on Aaron’s second message, I currently have this:

      \context {
        \ChordNames
        \override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-relatedstaff-spacing =
          #'((basic-distance . 0) (minimum-distance . 1)
             (padding . 4) (stretchability . 0))
        \override ChordName.extra-offset = #'(0 . -1)
      }
      \context {
        \Lyrics
        \override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-relatedstaff-spacing =
          #'((basic-distance . 0) (minimum-distance . 1)
             (padding . -2) (stretchability . 0))
        \override LyricText.self-alignment-X = #LEFT
        \override LyricSpace.minimum-distance = #1
        \omit LyricExtender
      }

which gives the attached results.[*] If I increase the ChordNames padding to 5, the last line gets pushed to the next page, and everything opens way up. Changing the basic or minimum distance properties just pushes the chords away from their associated lyrics, not from the preceding line. The nonstaff-nonstaff-spacing property doesn’t seem to affect anything.

I’ve trawled the internals pretty extensively at this point, and this is probably close enough for my guitarist, but any further pointers on the spacing would be most welcome.

~Chris

[*] “Fiddler’s Green” is copyright © 1970 March Music, Ltd.
--
Chris Maden, text nerd
Emperor Norton had the right idea.