Re: Line break on a subtitle

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Line break on a subtitle
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 22:16:21 +0100

Am Mo., 18. März 2019 um 17:08 Uhr schrieb SoundsFromSound
<address@hidden>:

> Thomas Morley-2 wrote
>
> > vincenzo.auer@
>
> > &gt;:
> >> I found a lot of interesting things but sorry, I was not able to find an
> >> answer to my humble question.
> >

> > Whats wrong with
> >
> > \header {
> >   subtitle =
> >     \markup \wordwrap {
> >       Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do
> > eiusmod
> >       tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim
> >       veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex
> > ea
> >       commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in
> > voluptate
> >       velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint
> > occaecat
> >       cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit
> > anim id
> >       est laborum.
> >     }
> > }
> >
> > \markup \null
> >
> > -Harm
>
> Hi Harm,
>
> On a related note:
> Can you tell me why the word-wrap works in my second instance but not the
> first? I don't understand what's going on with the markup here with the
> first going off the page. I tried removing the \with-dimensions and that
> doesn't make any difference so I can't see my error otherwise. I do see that
> the first one is enclosed in a { } expression, and *that* (I assumed) was
> part of the reason but...I'm still a bit lost as to the why.
>
> Thank you,
>
> \version "2.19.82"
>

> {
>
>   c'1
>   -\markup \wordwrap {
>     \with-dimensions #'(0 . 0) #'(3 . 0)

Here you provide _one_ string, but wordwrap expects a markup-list like below.
We have wordwrap-string, though I would recommend to keep wordwrap and
change the string to a markup-list.
Basically use { ... } instead of "..."

{
  c'1
  -\markup
     %\box for visual checking dimensions
     %% adjust to taste:
     \with-dimensions #'(0 . 0) #'(-8 . 3)
     \override #'(line-width . 60)
     \wordwrap {
       This is a long text that widens the score because it can't protrude.
       Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod

Further I'd always set the line-width for wordwrap(-string) used in
TextScript, otherwise the basic line-width is used not shortened to
the available space.

Cheers,
  Harm

>     "This is a long text that widens the score because it can't protrude.
> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod"
>   }
> }
>

> %% compared to this
>

> \markup \wordwrap {
>   Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod
>   tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim
>   veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea
>   commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate
>   velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat
>   cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id
>   est laborum.
> }

Cheers,
  Harm