Re: LilyPond 2.20 or 2.21 for Linux

From: Mason Hock
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.20 or 2.21 for Linux
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2019 10:11:54 -0700

On 03/30, Ralph Palmer wrote:
> I think I missed something. Can I install 2.20 and/or 2.21 on Linux?
> not an expert, though I've used command line some.

I don't think that 2.20 has been released, but since you're comfortable
with the command line you can build 2.21.

> Also, I'm running Ubuntu 18.04.2 and Frescobaldi 3.0.0. Are there any known
> conflicts?

I have built and run 2.21 on a derivative of 16.04 and used it with
Frescobaldi 3.0.0. I'm not aware of any reason it wouldn't work on
18.04.

$ sudo apt install git
$ sudo apt build-dep lilypond
$ git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/lilypond.git
$ cd lilypond
$ ./autogen.sh

Running "sudo apt build-dep lilypond" earlier will have installed build
dependencies for Ubuntu's version of Lilypond (presumably 2.18.2) but
if 2.21 has any additional dependencies then autogen.sh will tell you
that you are missing a required package. Install that package with
"sudo apt install [package-name]". If the package isn't found, then
Ubuntu might have the package under a slightly different name (usually
when this happens you need to add a "lib" prefix or "-dev" suffix). If
you get stuck, "apt-cache search [what you thought the name was]" can
help. Repeat until autogen.sh completes without errors. Then,

$ make all

Wait for Lilypond to build, and

$ sudo make install

Good luck!