Re: fixed vs relative

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: fixed vs relative
Date: Thu, 9 May 2019 19:46:38 -0500

On Thu 09 May 2019 at 21:40:30 (+0200), Gianmaria Lari wrote:
> On Thu, 9 May 2019 at 21:32, David Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> > ml.

> > decided
> > mode is

> > would

> > > You know that Frescobaldi can convert absolute to relative and vice
> > versa?
> >
> > As can the   ly   standalone (derived from F~ possibly).
> >

> Sorry I don't understand.

ly, packaged as python3-ly in Debian, has a number of commands hived
off (I assume) from Fresco including: re-indent, reformat, translate
the language, transpose, abs2rel, rel2abs, simplify-accidentals, etc.

> > But if you can coerce an editor into doing this trick, I would suggest
> > that absolute is a better target than fixed. Perhaps you meant that anyway.
>
> What's the difference? I was thinking they were synonimus in lilypond
> talking.

AIUI, in \absolute, c' generates middle C and only middle C; in
\relative, c' generates a C which is at least a fifth above the
previous note; and in \fixed, c' generates a C within the octave
above the reference octave.

> > However, there may be a downside. With relative, a wrong decision on
> > one note has a dramatic effect on the following music, but is easily
> > corrected with one tick. When this trick has been applied, many
> > notes may have to be individually tickled after the mistake is
> > discovered.
>
> Maybe you're right. Or maybe the fact to see clearly what the editor
> propose you (for each note) make you very self conscious of what you write.

The "wrong decision" that I was talking about was where you think a
note needs a tick (that the editor proposed) when it doesn't¹. The
mistake is only revealed when LP has run and the notehead (and those
following) is an octave off the correct position.

> Generally I appreciate the autocomplete feature even if I found it making
> my though less fluent (but maybe it's better :))

¹ or vice versa.

Cheers,
David.