Re: octavating slurs

From: David Olson
Subject: Re: octavating slurs
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 13:26:49 -0400 (EDT)

> Also, doing everything to accommodate
> inexperienced sight-readers can often lead to bad conclusions.

Well, <em> experienced </em> sight-singers have certain expectations.

If you are ever in Los Angeles on a Monday night,
and want to attend a midnight sight-singing session,
(shape note singing)
let me know.

Most people think of sight-singing as a means to an end.

Collective sight-singing is nirvana.

One might speak of "hedonic sight singers" (able to sight-sing for pleasure),

and "ahedonic sight singers" (unable to feel pleasure while sight-singing).

Sorry, my comments are no longer lilypondish,

nevertheless represent a little-known aspect of the sociability of music.

Thanks again, David Kastrup, and others who built this option into Lilypond!

David Olson
Los Angeles

p.s. Also, these songs are not so difficult.
<http://www1.cpdl.org/wiki/images/2/28/LexingtonBillings1770a.pdf>