Re: harmonyli.ly beta 0.91 released

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: harmonyli.ly beta 0.91 released
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 10:06:56 -0600

On Mon 11 Nov 2019 at 00:11:53 (-0800), address@hidden wrote:
> On 11/10, Karsten Reincke wrote:
> > I've just tried to test your version. But it does not work, because my
> > LilyPond version 2.18.2, offered by Ubuntu 19.10, does not contain a
> > function \overlay. I have the hope, that the coming LTS Ubuntu version
> > 20.04 will contain the newer 2.19.x  - LilyPond.
>
> Ubuntu is based on snapshots of Debian's unstable branch.  Lilypond
> 2.19.83 is currently in Debian's experimental branch, but the unstable
> branch has 2.18.2, and this will presumably remain the case until
> Lilypond 2.20 is released.  If Lilypond 2.20 is released in time to make
> it into Debian unstable before Ubuntu freezes its package versions for
> 20.04, then Lilypond 2.20 might be available in the next Ubuntu LTS, but
> otherwise it will still have 2.18.2.  The easiest way to install
> Lilypond 2.19.83 on a Debian-based distro like Ubuntu is probably to
> grab the deb from Debian experimental.
>
> Assuming that your architecture is amd64:
>
> $ wget
> http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/lilypond/lilypond_2.19.83-1~exp1_amd64.deb
>
> $ sudo dpkg -i lilypond_2.19.83-1~exp1_amd64.deb

Add
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/lilypond/lilypond-data_2.19.83-1~exp1_all.deb
to that.

But the disadvantage of installing that way is that the distribution
only supports one version of LilyPond, and there are advantages to
being able to run more than one.

If you download the program from lilypond.org, install with
$ bash …path-to/lilypond-2.19.83-1.linux-64.sh --prefix
lilypond-2.19.83-1.linux-64
and run with lilypond-2.19.83-1.linux-64/bin/lilypond …,
you can have several versions available.

Cheers,
David.