Re: Display the control points of a slur

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Display the control points of a slur
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2019 11:18:17 +0100

On 2019-11-14 2:20 pm, Paolo Prete wrote:
I propose to include your snippet in a new release of Lilypond because
it's very useful.

It would be nice to include more debug annotations within LilyPond.  If I am not mistaken, we currently have the following options:

  \paper { annotate-spacing = ##t }
  #(ly:set-option 'debug-skylines)
  \override [Non]PaperColumn.stencil = #ly:paper-column::print

For the future, we could add support for these cases:

- Plotting curve control points.
- Visualizing the extents and origins of grob stencils.
- Indicating the relationships between grobs (i.e. parents, children, siblings).

Are there other annotations that folks would find helpful? Providing there is enough interest in such support, we should open a ticket for tracking the work.

Frescobaldi also offers the following options (in the Layout Control Tool):

- coloring voices with explicit \voiceXXX
  (unfortunately implicit ones in polyphonic settings are not possible)
- coloring explicit directions with ^ or _
- print the grob names

What I'd find interesting in addition would be:

- visualizing extra-offset (by plotting a line between the final and the original refpoints) - visualizing *other* properties of bezier curves, for example angles and ratios   (those that can be set with \shapeII). These are of course not available as properties
  but would have to be calculated.
  The results should be printed in a semi-transparent (?) rectangle overlaying the score - in a similar vein there could be a more generic function to "debug" a grob by printing   selected property values on top of the score (something like a ballon text, but overlaid)

These visualizations should also be possible to switch on and off in the course of the document to just apply them to a selected range or even a single item.

Urs

-- Aaron Hill