Re: tie & tag

From: Gianmaria Lari
Subject: Re: tie & tag
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 23:52:00 +0100

Dear Aaron, you wrote:

 [....]
\pushToTag and \appendToTag only work on things that have an elements
property.  So that means this _expression_ is valid but useless:

     \pushToTag #'here c' \tag #'here g'

I tried to search "Element property" and I found this:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/extending/internal-music-representation

[...]
A compound music _expression_ is a music object that contains other music objects in its properties. A list of objects can be stored in the elements property of a music object, or a single ‘child’ music object in the element property. For example, SequentialMusic has its children in elements, and GraceMusic has its single argument in element. The body of a repeat is stored in the element property of RepeatedMusic, and the alternatives in elements.

So if I understand correctly, the code:

  \pushToTag #'here c' \tag #'here g'

doesn't work because g', that is a single note and not a compound music _expression_ does not have an element property. That's the reason why this instead works:

\pushToTag #'here c' \tag #'here {g'}

Because {g'} is a compound music _expression_ and it has an element property. Could you please confirm?

Thank you, g.