Re: metronome-mark-alignment

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: metronome-mark-alignment
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 00:04:18 +0100

Hi Daniel,

you may have heard there's a conference soon in Salzburg.
I will have a talk there as well, thus I doubt I can't look into the
problem you've reported before I'm back.

Nevertheless in alzburg I'll talk about user-defined extensions for LilyPond.
During the talk I'll frequently recommend reading the Extending Manual
to get basic knowledge about scheme/guile.

Though, I've already heard about difficulties about using scheme to
write own extension pretty often.
Just like you say:

Am So., 12. Jan. 2020 um 22:19 Uhr schrieb Daniel Rosen <address@hidden>:
> I want to express how grateful I am to this list for being so helpful with
> this issue, since I have zero knowledge about how to use Scheme. (I've tried
> to tackle the Extending manual on multiple occasions, but I find it extremely
> difficult to understand, probably because I have no programming experience.)

I have the suspicion it's not, because guile is difficult, at least so
far as the scheme-tutorial reaches out, but because it's difficult to
find a way to modify LilyPond's default with scheme. In the sense of:
What am I supposed to do with my new basic guile-knowledge?
Note that most used tools in David's and my coding are _not_ native
guile-procedures, but are defined in the LilyPond-source.
Therefore I think the problem is more poor documentation of those
lily-defined tools and/or the lack of commented code-examples using
them.

Could you confirm or is it something else preventing you from starting
to code on your own?

Btw, before I started using LilyPond I had no programming experience as well ;)

Best,
 Harm