Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 206, Issue 45

From: Arle Lommel
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 206, Issue 45
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 20:02:37 -0500

Sic scripsit Aaron Hill:

> In your larger document, do you use \autoBeamOff?

This was the problem. I did’t recall turning autoBeam off so I didn’t think to
check for it.

Sic scripsit Kieran MacMillan:

> Well, that would follow "traditional" (meaning pre-1900) engraving rules for
> vocal writing, when melismas were indicated by beams (or lack thereof) and
> not slurs. But I think it’s worth logging, even if it just ends up being a
> parameter/switch with the default staying as is.

Sounds like this means it isn’t a bug, but it wasn’t obvious that this would be
expected behavior as I was unaware of the pre-1900 convention. It certainly
doesn’t match the Bartók sources I’m working with (although Kodály does seem to
follow this convention).

-Arle