Re: Distance of a grob from its reference point

From: Robin Bannister
Subject: Re: Distance of a grob from its reference point
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 20:00:32 +0100

Paolo Prete wrote:

This is *precious* info. Please, can you tell/confirm  if

1) you are referring to \offset command ?

No.  That would be premature in this case.

2) is it applicable as a replacement for "\offset Y-offset" for *every*
grob that support Y-offset ?

Well, I have trouble following your trains of thought.
I won't try to understand that question.

And I'm puzzled why you focus directly on the property Y-offset.

As regards the \offset command:
The section 'Properties which may be offset' at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/the-offset-command
says the property must have a default setting in define-grobs.scm.

OttavaBracket has the property outside-staff-padding because it supports the outside-staff-interface.
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/outside_002dstaff_002dinterface
but define-grobs.scm doesn't set it.

So you can't use \offset in this case until that is amended.

As to the default value used for outside-staff-padding when neither define-grobs.scm sets it or any other code overrides it, see
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2020-01/msg00181.html

So this 0.46 is just for outside-staff-padding.

Cheers,
Robin