Re: Distance of a grob from its reference point

From: Paolo Prete
Subject: Re: Distance of a grob from its reference point
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 12:46:02 +0100

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 11:45 AM Michael Gerdau <address@hidden> wrote:

FWIW: Prior to reading this thread I wasn't even aware, that \offset
might not do what I want in all situations. I use it occasionally and
like it - works for me.

Claiming it is completely broken seems way over the top to me.

Hi MIchael,

Please read carefully the thread.
I did not say that *\offset is completely broken*. I said that *the combination \offset + YX-offset is broken*
Note also that broken features are very common to *any* software. Even to the most perfect one.

<disclaimer>
No offence intended
</disclaimer>
Reading your posts on this topic has given me the impression that you
had a view on how things would/should work inside LP and are now
struggling with the revelation that at least \offset isn't as
deterministic as you expected it to be.

No, this is not true, sorry.
I simply wanted to understand how to offset a bracket.
And the conclusion is: avoid \offset + X/Y-offset and use

1) extra-offset (if you don't need automatic collision-avoidance)

OR

2) \override X/Y-offset with a ruler (if you need automatic collision-avoidance)

I think this is useful as documentation for users, so they won't have weird results if they use \offset X/Y-offset.
I don't see any case where \offset X/Y-offset can be useful. Please, provide one if I'm wrong.

Best,