Re: Instructions to install lilypond onto Raspberry Pi

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Instructions to install lilypond onto Raspberry Pi
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 11:33:57 -0600

On Fri 17 Jan 2020 at 08:19:00 (-0700), John Burt wrote:
> I downloaded the deb-file for lilypond from
> http://partitura.org/index.php/lilypond/. It installed smoothly. But I had
> trouble getting it to run because of the required dependency on guile 1.8 (I
> have guile 2 something). I followed the instructions on the partitura page
> for downloading guile 1.8, but when I update my apt program it tells me that
> the apt archive for jessie is no longer available. Is there another way that
> you know of to install guile 1.8?

I can see the packages at
http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/pool/main/g/guile-1.8/
which correspond in version number to those that I had installed on
a jessie system (mine was i386) still being kept up-to-date as of
2019-03-28. I didn't use apt (obviously) to get to those packages,
but just browsed from http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian
given on the page you referred to above.

So you could just download them by hand and install them with
either   dpkg -i foo.deb   (dependencies first) or with apt
and friends   apt install ./foo.deb
Note that to install .deb *files* with apt, the filename must
be a path starting with any of / or ./ or ../ else apt will
misinterpret it.

> I also downloaded the source for lilypond to see whether I could compile it.
> But I'm new at that. Do you have an idea how hard it would be for me to
> modify the lilypond sources so that they would work with the guile I have?
> Thanks!

Watching conversations here, I think very hard, possibly involving
Python2→3 as well, though I might be wrong there. I don't think LP
would be using guile1 at all were it straightforward.

There does appear to be an open thread about compiling LP which
involves guile:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2020-01/msg00319.html
and another about compiling libreadline into guile:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2020-01/msg00198.html
which might be of help, but I've not tried any of this as I download
amd64 tarballs from the LP website myself.

Cheers,
David.