Re: \offset Y-offset

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: \offset Y-offset
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 01:29:09 -0800

On 2020-01-19 7:15 am, Paolo Prete wrote:
I'm looking at your code and I don't understand what is it intended to do.
You write: "% Test with bracket that is positioned by Y-offset."
but from what I see, the bracket is positioned by both
outside-staff-padding and y-offset inside \shiftOttavaBracket.
What do you mean, then?
In addition, please can you write at the beginning of the snippet what you
are going to demonstrate? IIUC, what you are going to demonstrate is
something that depends on the result of another snippet. Please, can you
put all in the same example? Otherwise all becomes too hard to be
understood/used.

It seems that email might not be the best medium of communication for this. I am taking a page out of Knuth's handbook with something akin to literate programming. Lacking a suitable TeX environment that works with LilyPond, I chose to do everything in a monolithic LY file.

May you find attached a compiled PDF with its LY source file. I cannot promise the LY is the *most* readable, but I have tried to keep things as organized as possible. Likewise, I have done a few passes of proof-reading over the document, but at this point I am unlikely to spot any typos that remain. And rather than delay this further, I am sending out what I have, for better or worse.

Due to the nature of this presentation, there are parts of the LY file that are not directly relevant to the subject--including a number of helper functions for overlaying graphics on grobs, as well as a kludgy solution for including the text of a code snippet in the final document while also executing it. Between just reading the PDF by itself and then along side the LY source, I hope it will not be too difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff.

-- Aaron Hill