MusicXML to braille music conversion

From: Jacques Menu
Subject: MusicXML to braille music conversion
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 10:42:34 +0100

Hello folks,

There have been posts in the past on this subject in the Lily users’ list.

I now have a first draft of such a translator producing braille music in Ascii
BRF and Unicode files. It translates the basic elements, such as time
signatures, measures, notes, etc.

This development was frozen some time ago though: the mail I sent to ask who
could provide technical information about such files generation was mostly
never answered by the various individuals and organisms I sent it to, and I got
discouraged.

DAISY Consortium is very active in the field of braille music, see
https://daisy.org/activities/projects/music-braille/.
According to the contacts I’ve had with them, they aim at an integrated
graphical braille score editor, that would take the score structure into
account. They already have done work with Veia Progetti, see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf60CpZQ_Iw. Of course, they have resources I
don’t have.

The good news on my side is that I met two interested people at the Salzburg
conference. Also, the bicentenial of the first braille book published by Louis
Braille himself will take place in 2025, and that could raise interest for
braille music.

A former braille music teacher told me that he is pessimistic for braille music
teaching in the future, though: it is quite difficult for the blind people to
learn, and efforts to integrate the blind in society, such as providing music
in audio format, may undermine it.

I’m interested in knowing what you think and maybe hope in this area.

A nice day!

JM