Re: resetting accidentals at word breaks

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: resetting accidentals at word breaks
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 18:15:22 +0200

Hi Benjamin,

accidental-styles.chant-cautionary =
#`(#t
      (Staff ,(make-accidental-rule 'same-octave 0))
      (Staff ,(make-accidental-rule 'same-octave #t)))
Great to hear!

Now I am trying to figure out how to draw the first accidental within a melisma at the beginning of the group of notes rather than immediately before the note it modifies.  I'd be interested if anyone has any ideas where to start on that.  I will consult the documentation and see what I can come up with.

This is an interesting feature that should also be needed in some forms of traditional Gregorian chant notation. (The Graduale Novum uses

but the chosen place is not simply "beginning of word".)

Maybe this could be done by constructing an engraver that i) keeps track of possible accidental-start-positions (i.e. word beginnings in your case), ii) watches out for accidentals and moves them back horizontally, either a) by graphically X-offsetting them or b) by adding an accidental to the first note of the word (with Y-offset).

Unfortunately, this is completely out of my depth, but I wouldn't be surprised at all (yet quite impressed) if, for instance, Aaron or Harm were able to come up with something like that.

Assuming, of course, that this is not already implemented by the Gregorian folks?

Best
Lukas